Start a Food Buyer's Club
Looking for a way to help end hunger in our community? There is power in numbers!
Start or Join a Food Buyer’s Club, a unique and highly-effective way to address hunger in our community. The concept is easily adapted for your group (such as book clubs, scout troops, church groups, & businesses) regardless of formality, size or dollar commitment.
Here is an example of how the model works:
- Members from Gateway Community Church agree to donate a standard amount per month. A per person donation of $25 per month can quickly add up to a sizeable food donation, but smaller or larger amounts are also effective!
- The funds are pooled and used to purchase items in highest demand for the MOM Food Pantry. An up-to-date most needed list is available at momhelps.org. The Club leader also contacts the MOM Food Pantry manager to determine what is in short supply but have a high demand.
- The Gateway Community Church Club leader works with the buying manager at Terry’s Piggly Wiggly in Cross Plains to secure case prices on items and/or take advantage of sales. Purchasing items at low-cost grocery stores is also a good option.
- The Club Leader determines how best to gather funds from participants. At Gateway Community Church members make their contributions directly to the church and an account is set up for easy tracking and management.
- The Club leader and/or delivery volunteers pick up the food at the participating grocery store and deliver the items to the MOM pantry once/month. Pick up by MOM volunteers is also an option.
There are many ways this could be adapted to your group. For more information on how Gateway Community Church has established and maintained their efforts you can contact Mike Engelhard directly at 608-795-4518 or email@example.com. This model can work with any number of members and any monthly donation decided upon within the club. Create a Club and make a difference!
Please correct the validation errors above.